Functional Skills in English
Do you need to meet university entry requirement?
Are you a Private Hire Driver need to fulfil the TfL requirement in English?
This is a GCSE English equivalent qualification?
This course is recommended for adult learners who are aiming to meet university entry requirements by having a GCSE or are preparing to apply for the Access course. The Functional Skills English is a recognised GCSE equivalent that will equip you with the fundamental applied skills needed to succeed in all aspects of life, work and learning.
Warning: Last items in stock!
FUNCTIONAL SKILLS ENGLISH
About This Course why you should take it.
Having a good command of the English Language shows your employer, colleagues and potential clients that you are professional, proactive and productive in all situations where English is being spoken.
Having good literacy skills are essential for the modern workplace and employers are increasingly looking for employees who are literate and can prove this with a relevant and up-to-date qualification.
This English Functional Skills Course provides essential communication skills, knowledge and understanding to enable students to function confidently and effectively at work and in their everyday life. Supported by the government as part of their drive to ensure that the United Kingdom workforce has the necessary skills for the country to be competitive, English functional skills help learners to use what they have learnt in a practical way to be literate.
English Functional Skills are, therefore, about developing your ability to communicate effectively through speaking and listening, reading and writing which is then transferable to other areas of learning, life and work. This would include things like speaking and listening, reading and writing.
Why Choose the Learning Station?
We are continually investing and developing our online Learner Management System to make the learner experience a fun and memorable learning journey.
Our Accreditations speak for themselves assuring you of the most up to date policies procedures to include well vetted and professional centre staff who are always on hand to provide the best support, information advice and guidance on
What makes us different to other colleges?
- Flexible Payment plans with up to 12 months to pay -No Credit Checks.
- We offer the full QCF/RQF Ofqual courses with pathway choices of your own.
- Free initial assessment assessments of academic levels with immediate results.
- Online, Distance / Blended Learning.
- Learner Management System Accessible 24/7.
- Responsive online tutor and assessor support.
site, internal verifier + Moderator.
- Flexible – Blended delivery of assessment and observation.
- Free Learning Resources for Ease of study.
- No Credit Checks - Easy and Manageable Payments up to 12 Months.
- Technical support team available 09:00 - 18:00 Mon – Fri.
How does it work?
All our Functional Skills Qualifications work this way and we will provide you with the support you need to go through this process:
- An Initial Assessment
- This is to find the academic level at which you are working.
- A Diagnostic Assessment
- This looks at different elements of the course and identifies which areas you are competent in and which areas require more work.
- Create each learner an online ILP
- Your Individual Learner Portfolio gives you information, practice quizzes and assessments, video clips and other resources to help your learning.
- A highly qualified and skilled tutor will be assigned to assist you throughout your whole programme. This will enable you to track your progress and receive individual support and supplementary learning materials.
What will you study?
The course content includes
3 distinct strands each of which are assessed separately. All of the tasks and assessments are based on practical real-life situations which you could encounter in your work or home life. They also include the use of presentation skills as well as using grammar, spelling and punctuation correctly.
Speaking and listening
Taking part in a discussion, listening and responding to other people’s point of view, being able to present your ideas to a small group.
Reading a variety of different texts and interpreting and responding to the information.
Presenting information and ideas in your own words.
Where and How?
Our mode of learning is distance & online learning – This allows you to study from home, in the workplace or anywhere you have an internet connection. Your course is available to you 24 hours a day and seven days a week working at a pace that suits you
Your course is available to you 24 hours a day and seven days a week working at a pace that suits you
Free on screen example tests:
Original Pre-October 2016 English samples:
You can brush up your skills quickly, by visiting the BBC Education Section
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
On average the course can be completed in 8 -14 weeks, based on 3-4 hours study a week. However, The Learning Station offers a flexible approach and, with every learner receiving a tailor made Individual Learner Plan, your tutor will help you to get qualified at a pace that suits your needs. The course will be available for up to 6 months only.
WHAT DOES THE COURSE LEAD TO?
Upon completion of Level 1 you could progress to the Level 2 Functional Skills qualification and from there many of our learners go on to further study. Level 1 is equivalent to a GCSE Grade D-E and a Level 2 qualification is equivalent to GCSE Grade C.
No specific entry requirements.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
To obtain the Functional Skills qualification you will need to undertake an online test or paper test.
How you will be assessed
This qualification is accredited by City and Guilds.
There are three assessment components:
- – Reading
- – Writing
- – Speaking, Listening and Communication (SLC)
- The three components are assessed separately, so each can be attempted when you are ready.
- All three components: Reading, Writing and Speaking, Listening and Communication (SLC) must be achieved. However, because they are each assessed separately they can be completed at different times and different levels.
- Levels 1 and 2 Reading and Writing are available both onscreen, using City & Guilds
e-volvesystem, and as paper-delivered as assessment.
- Levels 1 and 2 Speaking, Listening and Communication (SLC) assessment is administered by an appropriate member of staff in the centre.
How much does it cost?
Some of the cost of our Functional Skills Qualifications depends on where you live as we may need to send or arrange an invigilator to you for your final assessment. However, taking the final assessment and Exam at our centre incurs no extra charges to our fees above**
What Happens Next?
Once Purchased you’re all set to get learning. You will receive your unique email address and access code, along with instructions on how to get going with our Learner Management System. It really is that simple.
We do have some funding available and can offer some courses free of charge subject to eligibility criteria. give us a call on 020 8342 7216 to find out if you are entitled to a free course or for a quote.
*These qualifications are considered to be equivalent to GCSE A-C and are Broadly accepted by universities, education institutions and employers. Please check with the institution that you are applying whether they accept the Functional Skills English Level 2 qualification before taking the exam as we will not take any responsibility or give any guarantees that they will be accepted by every single organisation.
**Exam resits are extra and invigilation will incur further charges
By purchasing a Learning Station course you agree you have both read fully and understood our Terms & Conditions [T&C’s]